Thursday, September 6, 2012

Introductions

Never before have I written a blog that I wanted to change others lives. But I hope that my future readers will be able to empathize with what I write in this blog.

My plan is to use this blog as a tool to inform readers about local food events in the Conway, Arkansas area. It is also my wish to use it as a place to review books that deal with the topic of food. I will have discussions on food related topics, such as the Slow Food Movement. It is my hope that my readers will comment on these events, book reviews and discussions to input their own thoughts. I would be especially interested to hear from you if you have read the books I review. Or if you have studied the topics that I choose to cover.

I plan to base my opinion on personal research into the agriculture industry of the Unites States. If I present a statement as fact, I plan to have a reference, which you can use to find such statements in their original context. However, much of what I write will be opinion based on my research or opinion stated by others, such as former professors or book authors. If you choose to participate in a discussion, I would appreciate that you would back up your statements of facts with references, as well. Or if something is an opinion and you wish to comment, I hope that you will fully explain your position and not simply state an opinion without presenting your argument with evidence from your own experience.

That being said, I hope that you enjoy reading my blog and will share it with your friends/family. I hope that it can inspire your lives in some way.

The title of my blog comes from a book I recently picked up: The Food Matters Cookbook. It also stems from my love of the Slow Food Movement, which has a similar mantra. The point that both Carlo Petrini and Mark Bittman would both agree on is that we have to adjust our lives to include better food and we have to inform ourselves about what that constitutes. Owing to the fact that I live in Conway, Arkansas, this blog will be focused around this area of the United States. I have found that the general community of Conway is not well-informed on the events involving food in the area. It is my hope that I can remedy this somewhat by sharing news of food events that are happening in the community.

Specifically, in the next two weeks there are a couple of events that might interest you:
-September 8th brings with it EcoFest at Laurel park from 10a.m. - 4p.m.
-September 15th brings the second annual Urban Farm Festival behind the Faulkner County Library starting at 5:30p.m. and ending at 8p.m.
             -Events include a potluck, so bring your favorite dish to share!
             -To get involved, email: info@fcurbanfarmproject.org

No comments:

Post a Comment